When focusing on a specific area of reporting there are dangers that may conflict the journalists professionalism. These dangers can also affect accuracy and fair reporting.
Some of the main dangers are:
- losing objectivity and judgement
- involving own ideologies – creating bias
- getting too involved with the subject
- forgetting news angle, or not being original
- getting too close to the contacts
- becoming compromised by confidential conversations
These issues I will keep in mind in my own work, I will try and limit the chance of falling into these dangers. Some of these issues are easily avoided and rules are set out how to be a good journalist by the NUJ.